What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2019 (Spotify playlists in 1st post) (1 Viewer)

Tried to listen to the new Menzingers and the new Sturgill Simpson, and didn't make it through two full songs for either.
I love Menzingers and was looking forward to adding Hello Exile to my personal AoTY short list... but it is pretty much a hot mess. I am not an audiophile, but the mix is so bad I don't even want to listen to it.  I had Friday off with a hike planned... I listened to the album on the drive there, and was pretty down before I started my hike - lol

Shooter produced the latest Duff McKagan album that came out early this year.  It's more country than rock 'n roll and the dark material suits Duff's voice.
Just gave this record a listen - would have missed it otherwise - I think it's pretty fantastic considering it's coming from the bass player of Guns N Roses (and I'm a GnR fan). It's not what I would have expected at all and it really fits in with most of the new music that I gravitate towards.

I’m sorry but is a video game soundtrack going to be an awesome album?   Chvrches track off of Death Stranding is pretty good. 

RR looks great today...

dodos

elbow (eta- sounds like elbow... which I like)

GRMLN

stereolab (eventually putting out new music? eta- feels like lounge music from a shatner star trek ep just before he's about to get it on with a green antenna chick )

mourn (eta - straight ahead cure cover...good)

omni

panda bear

fka twigs

BODEGA

heavy lungs

twilight sad

uranium club

say sue me

slothrust

nilufer yanya

kadavar

sego

Last edited by a moderator:
Yngwie took a bunch of #### down and now my playlist is ruined!

New Starcrawler meets my approval.  Rock n roll.  I'll never see the movie but their take on "Pet Sematary" is solid too

Cursive's back, still pissed off

I legit got chills at one point in every song during the Charly Bliss Tiny Desk Concert - they absolutely KILLED Young Enough (2nd song).  I am going to have a hart time not ranking this #1 on my AoTY year list at this point. 
I was going to make some snarky comment to this about PUP not being your number one but then I realized nostalgia and too many drunken listening album sessions mean it might not be my #1 either.

(because of The Hold Steady album in case that wasn't obvious). 

Just diving into BLack Dogs cover of the entire Neon Bible album. So far so good.
*A Giant Dog?
You are correct, sir.

And it was a fun listen. One of my favorite albums from then, and still solid too to bottom. Loved hearing the tunes again for the first time in a while as reworked covers. 
this is really, really good. I mentioned loving the original album which helps- but I love what a giant dog's done with the place

RR this week...

foals album.2... I liked part 1- more than most in here I think. interested to hear what this one sounds like.

peter bjorn and john

spielbergs (!)

white reaper

perfume genius

yak

young guv

deerhoof

guerilla toss

cass mccombs

... and other stuff from bands that suond familiar, that I'll probably prefer to the above. and lots of remixes. and GRMLN.

The last few tracks from GRMLN have been excellent. 
He/they are pretty consistent imo. All the more impressive considering they're putting out like 19 tracks a week.

Btw... I don't think that Yak tune was by the Yak I thought it would be by....techno.

Oh...missed that there's a screaming females tune...not bad.

That Foals album...kinda meh for me. A couple of great tracks that had already been released, but at first listen nothing else grabbed me. 

Haven't listened to the whole white reaper album, but something about the tunes I've heard so far that seems more pop/produced than I like...and Im sure they're going for that power pop sound, but not working for me yet.

interest: piqued 
I'm listening now...I think you'll love it.
It's funny- a song came on at the end that I immediately playlisted...much more loose and garagey. Then realised it was from 2015.

I will say- this album is just about perfectly executed for that vibe; Its really well done.

Eta...so much so, that I'm diving right back in. Not my scene all the time, but it's making me want to give another listen

Corridor is a Montreal guitar band with a record on Sub Pop that manages to be both driving and dreamy.  They sing their songs in French which might be a turn off for some but for me it adds a certain je ne sais quoi to their sound.

Domino

I am still working my way though the live album Jeff Rosentock just dropped.  McCafferty is up after that (I expect to be let down based on the singles - we'll see)...then I'll give White Reaper a spin - I liked a single I heard on my RR a few weeks ago. Hopefully I get to that before the new Beach Slang drops, as I can see that one being an earworm. 

Eephus said:
Corridor is a Montreal guitar band with a record on Sub Pop that manages to be both driving and dreamy.  They sing their songs in French which might be a turn off for some but for me it adds a certain je ne sais quoi to their sound.

Domino
Driving and dreamy are apt descriptors. Really liked that song. The YouTube comments contextualized it a bit, too. Nice crescendo at about four minutes in.

Whoohooo.

eta* That said, are they Quebecois separatists? Oof. 

Eephus said:

Domino
They were on my Google feed at lunch for some reason...hadnt heard of them and didn't check them out yet, but will now. Thanks for the heads-up!

Just realized I playlisted a Green Day song... Fire, Ready, Aim.. rollicking throw-back garage punk. If they have a new album in this direction, sign me up.

I'm just getting into this artist now.  Looks like he's released mostly singles/EPs.  Came across this song a few weeks back and it got an immediate "Thumbs up" from me.  It's slowly become my current earworm that I can't seem to shake.  I wake up every morning itching to hear it again.

I recently watched the video during my attempt to share the song.  Fascinating and disturbing stuff.

Grandson - Oh No!!!

J

Users who are viewing this thread