What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Music Thread. 9/11 - Flaming Lips, Everything Everything (1 Viewer)

OrtonToOlsen said:
No idea if this has been covered but...

White Reaper’s latest album is probably the best thing release over the 2019-2020 season.

I will fight you.  My hands are rated E for Everyone.
I guess you might be right. 

Last edited by a moderator:
OrtonToOlsen said:
No idea if this has been covered but...

White Reaper’s latest album is probably the best thing release over the 2019-2020 season.

I will fight you.  My hands are rated E for Everyone.
Covered.

It and they have been great for the burgeoning indie/power pop world.

I mentioned a band recently that appears to have jumped in as well...I'll find the post.

El Floppo said:
Covered.

It and they have been great for the burgeoning indie/power pop world.

I mentioned a band recently that appears to have jumped in as well...I'll find the post.
I think with a couple months hindsight, the best "big" indie/rock songs of last year (i.e. you could reasonably expect to hear on an alternative/indie radio station/satellite radio/the top spotify playlists) in no order IMO are:

• Might be Right (White Reaper)
  • When Am I Gonna Lose You (Local Natives)
  • Seventeen  (Sharon Van Etten)
  • Harmony Hall (Vampire Weekend)
  • Light On (Maggie Rogers)

wow, Iceage right on it with the current events.  it's like their Ohio.

Covid-19 Lockdown Blues
The only way out is through
A wraithlike peril spread across our seven seas
Empty shelves in barren streets
Confined domestic quarantine
How the itching for lost touch is deafening
Covid-19 Lockdown Blues
Covid-19 Lockdown Blues

wow, Iceage right on it with the current events.  it's like their Ohio.

Covid-19 Lockdown Blues
The only way out is through
A wraithlike peril spread across our seven seas
Empty shelves in barren streets
Confined domestic quarantine
How the itching for lost touch is deafening
Covid-19 Lockdown Blues
Covid-19 Lockdown Blues
that one made it to my release radar today as well!

Gigaton is the soundtrack of the pandemic. I think it's pretty obvious that alot of the themes and lyrics are geared toward addressing the threat of climate change but it really fits recent events. Give it a few spins and you'll see.

Gigaton is the soundtrack of the pandemic. I think it's pretty obvious that alot of the themes and lyrics are geared toward addressing the threat of climate change but it really fits recent events. Give it a few spins and you'll see.
Is Gigaton a rock band? 

I playlisted a couple of more rocking tunes when they dropped, thinking they were returning to more garagey roots...  they didn't. not a huge PJ fan, so didn't love the album as it strikes me as very PJ... which is probably a good thing for their fans. the wife loves it- she's a fan.  

I playlisted a couple of more rocking tunes when they dropped, thinking they were returning to more garagey roots...  they didn't. not a huge PJ fan, so didn't love the album as it strikes me as very PJ... which is probably a good thing for their fans. the wife loves it- she's a fan.  
Streets of empty canvas
under sheets of clay

or something like that. I remember spending about a day when I broke up with my high school gf in college listening to "Black." At least I did not weep.

Oh my God, teenagers. 

I'm spinning wooooaaah wooooaaah wooooah I'm spinning
I know she gave me all that she wore
And now my bitter hands
All been washed in black
Tattooed everything

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life
I know you'll be a star

In somebody's else's sky
But why why-hy whhhyyyyyyyyyy
Can't it be in mine
Ooh Ya ha

That's from memory, jax.

Hamilton Leithauser tonight.
That song you linked back a while ago from Paul Banks's band Muzz (?) sounded like the Walkmen. Sure enough, one of the guys from the Walkmen is in the band. Eagerly awaiting Hamilton.

And Sparta? Jim Ward's band? Huh.

Thanks for reminding me of Muzz.  I loved that song but it was Bandcamp only so I forgot about it.  Muzz is on Spotify now with another song.
No sweat. I couldn't get into Hamilton's new stuff, I guess. Or maybe it's my mood. There's a countrified twangy second song that caused a reaction about thirty seconds in. And then I put the Stones on. 

My one listen reaction to the new Strokes is that it's a bit all over the place in a good way, I like that they're trying new things, some of the 5-6 minute long songs work but a couple could easily be 1-2 minutes shorter. The big bangers are still their best songs (The Adults Are Talking, Brooklyn Bridge to Chorus, Bad Decisions), though the two ballady songs that close out the album work for me too. 

Oh man, then 'New York City Cops' came on after this ended and there's just so much more energy...

Light week for releases overall but aside from Fiona Apple, EOB (Ed O'Brien) from Radiohead has his solo album out today and The Pack a.d. have their final album.

Song wise, there's more Bob Dylan - https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bob-dylan-song-contain-multitudes-985674/

And there's the Tame Impala/The Streets collaboration: https://pitchfork.com/news/the-streets-and-tame-impala-share-video-for-new-song-watch/

Car Seat Headrest - 'Hollywood' - https://diymag.com/2020/04/16/watch-car-seat-headrest-hollywood

Light week for releases overall but aside from Fiona Apple, EOB (Ed O'Brien) from Radiohead has his solo album out today and The Pack a.d. have their final album.

Song wise, there's more Bob Dylan - https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bob-dylan-song-contain-multitudes-985674/

And there's the Tame Impala/The Streets collaboration: https://pitchfork.com/news/the-streets-and-tame-impala-share-video-for-new-song-watch/
Streets new album will have an IDLES collaboration as well. Still love the mashup they did of streets tunes 

Streets new album will have an IDLES collaboration as well. Still love the mashup they did of streets tunes 
Yeah, unfortunately the Tame Impala and IDLES songs are the only ones on the tracklist that really jump out at me. The Gold LP looks pretty though

1. Call My Phone Thinking I’m Doing Nothing Better (ft. Tame Impala)
2. None Of Us Are Getting Out Of This Life Alive (ft. IDLES)
3. I Wish You Loved You As Much As You Love Him (ft. Donae’O and Greentea Peng)
4. You Can’t Afford Me (ft. Ms Banks)
5. I Know Something You Did (ft. Jesse James Solomon)
6. Eskimo Ice (ft. Kasien)
7. Phone Is Always In My Hand (ft. Dapz on the Map)
8. The Poison I Take Hoping You Will Suffer (ft. Oscar #Worldpeace)
9. Same Direction (ft. Jimothy Lacoste)
10. Falling Down (ft. Hak Baker)
11. Conspiracy Theory Freestyle (ft. Rob Harvey)
12. Take Me As I Am (with Chris Lorenzo)

Trying Skylar Gudasz "Cinema" for something a little less Yoko-y

I recommend!

Those reviews are shtick, right?  I gave up on the 3rd song... am I missing something by not sticking around longer?
Yes. I think the later songs are better - though the early ones grow on me. The Yoko stuff at the end of I Want You to Love Me (first song) is unwelcome.

But once you get to Relay, Rack of His, Newspaaper, Ladies - that's great stuff. 

Users who are viewing this thread