What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Get Your Butt Back To The Office (1 Viewer)

I have been WFH since March of last year. I simply don't want to go back--plain and simple. I mean, there are certain things that I NEED to physically be there for,, but for the most part, I can do my job from home and via Webex. I know the push is coming next month for us all to be back, but I just don't see the point.  I seriously thought of retiring--I am close, but I really wanted to go for another year and a half before calling it quits. Darn insurance is the sticking point. 
Stimulus $ -> Cobra? I know, probably doesn't begin to cover though. Would be nice if they would lower the medicare age.

I have WFH for the last 6 years and have no interest in going back into any type of office environment.  But I know several people who miss the social aspect of the work place.  Many of them hate WFH for various reasons.  I'm sure some want to get back to normal and some will want to stay WFH.   

Personally, I don't anticipate going back as I'm fairly close to second retirement.  Agree it should be interesting how things play out with employers.
The bolded is me. I miss grabbing lunch with coworkers. I miss having people swing by my office on their way to the bathroom (or vice versa) and talking about the kids, an upcoming vacation, how the MN Twins blew another one, etc. You can do those things while WFH, but it happens less (in my experience) when everybody is on Zoom/Teams/etc calls all day. But my commute is also < 10 minutes, so I have no problem going into the office. 

I have been WFH since March of last year. I simply don't want to go back--plain and simple. I mean, there are certain things that I NEED to physically be there for,, but for the most part, I can do my job from home and via Webex. I know the push is coming next month for us all to be back, but I just don't see the point.  I seriously thought of retiring--I am close, but I really wanted to go for another year and a half before calling it quits. Darn insurance is the sticking point. 
If you can keep you're income around $17,000 to $22,000, you can get FREE insurance from the gov't with only a $500-$750 deductible and maybe $750-$1000 out of pocket max.  Basically work enough next year to beat the medicare threshold and you're golden.  

If you can keep you're income around $17,000 to $22,000, you can get FREE insurance from the gov't with only a $500-$750 deductible and maybe $750-$1000 out of pocket max.  Basically work enough next year to beat the medicare threshold and you're golden.  

If i want to talk to a coworker I have to feign interest in their lives instead of just sending them an instant message with a question. Oh really how was the trip to the lake that sounds amazing oh good you have pictures sure show them to me why not. 

The bolded is me. I miss grabbing lunch with coworkers. I miss having people swing by my office on their way to the bathroom (or vice versa) and talking about the kids, an upcoming vacation, how the MN Twins blew another one, etc. You can do those things while WFH, but it happens less (in my experience) when everybody is on Zoom/Teams/etc calls all day. But my commute is also < 10 minutes, so I have no problem going into the office. 
Haha, Fred would hate working with me. 

I'm actually an introvert, but I do like talking to people now and then. 

My perfect scenario would be starting up 3 days at the office, 2 days WFH once the kids are back in school in September. This summer will be tough trying to get them into camps and they're too young to stay home alone all day. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

I have two friends that are begging to go back into the office, two separate career fields.  One just loves social interaction, like you describe.  The other says he just can't get anything done at home when the kids and the wife are home.  Dog barking, kids (teens) always asking about something or otherwise bothering him... wife's to-do list.  The first guy has no kids still at home. I suppose he's lonely.  My kids have their own families now and my wife stays at home but she doesn't bother me in the office.  

Lots of reasons why I like WFH, but one of the chief reasons is it allows me flexibility to get things done (mow lawn, mess with the pool, etc.) around the house. 

Many employees working from home say they have burnout. 

I know my wifes workplace (fortune 500 company) had a company wide survey and over half of work from home people said their job was harder out of the office. Of course when talk of returning to work in person started popping up, work from home suddenly wasnt so bad.

My company still has no concrete plans for office vs. WFH post-pandemic. Most of us can do our job from anywhere as long as we have our laptop and a VPN. At first, only the people who absolutely had to be in the office were. Over time, a few more people came back to the office for some or all of their days, because they didn't like or had technical issues with WFH. One guy from my department goes in most days because his wife is a piano teacher and the lessons are at their house. But most of us are still all WFH. And many of the new hires since the pandemic began -- including someone on my team -- are from outside the local area and will never be office-based. The company owns its property so rent/lease arrangements are not an issue. I'd be happy to stay WFH except when my presence at the office was required, but we've gotten no signal yet what the post-pandemic office situation will be. 
This is my situation too and honestly I plan to use this as a reason to continue WFH as much as possible.

We started WFH four days per week in 2018. Since then, the company has remodeled parts of the building into flexible work areas, so no one from my manager down have work stations. We do not expect going back into the office except for the occasional (possibly annual) meeting. 

Lean bfred likes going for a run at 4pm or doing yoga between meetings more than showing off my downsized glutes to my coworkers 

Mean bfred feels even stronger about it
This is definitely contributing to my ideal go-forward scenario. I've always exercised during the day, but now I do more of it during those hours. I think I am more productive when I am working by breaking up the day with exercise.

I think experience level and the nature of the job also plays a role in this.  It does not surprise me that the midday FBG demographic - i.e. mostly middle-aged men with significant work experience working in white-collar environments - prefer the permanent WFH option and are more than capable of completing their work with minimal inefficiency.  There is a very clear divide when it comes to experience level, based on my experiences with our staff people - the WFH experience has been absolutely detrimental to the development of our younger, more inexperienced staff members.

We're setting on some sort of flex hybrid, where you need to be in the office 3 days/week and have the option to flex WFH the other 2 days if you'd like, plus people with less than ~6 months experience need to be in the office full-time.  It may cause us to lose some people, unfortunately.

We gave everyone the option of full-time return to the office about 5 months ago.  I took it, as did about 30% of the company.

I know in my industry (architecture), a lot of people are happy and successfully working from home (either as employees or running their own businesses). And while some it is head down, crank stuff out, I find the work and need for visual and tactile collaboration to be mostly too difficult to be done remotely and prefer an office set up.
For myself, I find it tougher to effectively collaborate on creative endeavors remotely/via web meetings. Even with video, the visual cues don't work as well, if at all, and it makes things more disjointed. It's also tougher to know if everyone is focusing on the same thing when people are distributed, which makes the interaction less efficient. I'm not saying all collaborations suffer due to remote, but enough do that I'm hoping we go back to at least some regularly scheduled time on site. Maybe 2 of 5 days a week or something like that.

Personally I don't like how working from home has almost completely eradicated the boundaries between work and non-work. I'm getting better at developing the discipline to re-establish those boundaries myself, but it's a lot easier to separate the mindsets when the physical locations for work/not-work are different.

We had the option to go into the office a couple/few days a week at one point, but then they shut things back down completely.  Now our building is undergoing exterior renovations, and we should be partially re-opened in late June / early July.  I will likely go in 2 days a week, but even then I would only be there from 8:30 to 2ish.  I would get bored and want to finish up the day at home.

Somewhat related, I think we are going to be able to travel for work purposes again fairly soon, especially with many folks vaccinated.  That will be huge for me.

Our company is doing a permanent 2 day work at office, Wednesday is flex, and then the other 2 days are work from home.

For example starting next month I will be working Monday/Tuesday, then on Wednesday if I need to have a meeting with marketing or R&D for example I can go into the office to meet with them and then Thursday/Friday I will be working from home.

The downside is that I will be sharing my office with someone from marketing. I am unsure how they will work that out yet. They get some lockable drawers and I get others? What about setting up of monitors, keyboards, etc.

Will be a learning curve, but i like it.
I think we'll be doing something like the bolded, or perhaps 3/2 and 2/3 alternating weeks.  Current target for going back the office is October. Not sure about office sharing; I haven't seen anything specifically stating that.  

I won't mind going in to the office a couple days a week.  I miss hitting up some area restaurants and stopping for a beer on the way home occasionally.

Our company is in the process of moving to a new location for September of this year. Office is moving from the Outskirts of the Twin Cities to Downtown Minneapolis..  :yucky:
Our manager has already let us know that he left his last job because he HATED driving to downtown.
So he sees a majority of WFH.. maybe once a week meetings at the office.

I sure hope he continues to go that way.. It would be a minimum of an hour, probably more each way, for me to drive to the new location.
At this point in my life I have better things to do then spend 2+ hours a day in car to put in my 8 hours. 

A Manager that I worked with at this company left about a year ago. He heard of the move, and knows where I live, and already reached out stating "If they tell you that you have to go into the office call me as I'll always have a position open for you".. So I have that going for me ..

Another huge change is they are setting it up to be all "Hotel areas" and "Open concept". Only the ELT's ( CEO, CIO's, etc.) will have assigned offices..

I dislike the open concept and Hotel cubing ideas .. never know who last used the "hotel area"  and when I am writing code/Formulas concentration is needed.
With the Open concept, people are always yapping around you..

And I swear people always know just when you need to concentrate the most and decide that is the best time to tell you about their upcoming weekend plans, or what they did last week, or what they had for dinner last night.....    :wall:  

As mentioned above, I'm looking forward to being back in the office eventually. But management is talking about shared workspaces/hoteling. That is a big no way for me. I like having my own space. If shared workspaces is all we have, then maybe I'll go into the office one day a week and WFH the rest of the week. Guess we'll see what how that develops. 

Oh, I prefer hotelling. I actively avoided keeping things on my desk before this. Would prefer it be spartan as possible.

As mentioned above, I'm looking forward to being back in the office eventually. But management is talking about shared workspaces/hoteling. That is a big no way for me. I like having my own space. If shared workspaces is all we have, then maybe I'll go into the office one day a week and WFH the rest of the week. Guess we'll see what how that develops. 
Yeah. I have zero interest in coming in for a temporary cube. Prefer to have my own keyboard/mouse setup along with my books and reference materials around. We go this route and I'm going to push to come in as little as possible.

Come on, guys....we need everyone in the office because TEAM. 

TOGETHER. EVERYONE. ACHIEVES. MORE. 

My division is pending sale to an international company so I am very curious if we may go full time WFH or a hybrid. I think there is a very good chance that my group may never go back into our old offices again as my original company has announced they are going back to full time in the office after Labor Day. The new CEO was actively stamping out WFH prior to COVID so interested to see what happens there for my fellow employees that aren't getting sold.

There are quite a few people in my division that are near or past retirement age, I think most of them are waiting to see on WFH as well as any kind of retention bonus/changes in benefits when we move to our new company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. I have zero interest in coming in for a temporary cube. Prefer to have my own keyboard/mouse setup along with my books and reference materials around. We go this route and I'm going to push to come in as little as possible.
I said Get Your Butt Back To The Office Shared Hotel Work Area Desert Power.

I haven't missed a single day of work.  Our government client counterparts on the other hand, it's a ghost town and bunch of Teams meetings.  They will drag this thing on for as long as they possible can I'm sure.  

Federal agencies in DC are talking about maybe a September target for a return to offices.

I have a management meeting this week for a local government. Pretty sure they are going to say June for us to go back full time. We are in the DC metro area.

Haha, Fred would hate working with me. 

I'm actually an introvert, but I do like talking to people now and then. 
Do you hang out with coworkers outside of the office?

Although I cannot perform my job at home (this is changing though), I’m with Fred on this one. We shouldn’t endure traffic and waste all the resources that go into maintaining offices if a lot of it is purely social, or avoiding family.

Similar thing with me. We went home in March (outbreak of covid at work) only to be dragged back kicking and screaming in May. Worked onsite from May until November (second outbreak of covid at work) only to be dragged back on February 1st. Kicker of it all? When I came back in February I spent most of my days on Teams meetings with our vendors and other team members of our company. So I HAD to come back onsite to have virtual meetings.  :wall:
It's easy for me to say, but I'd be looking for a new gig if treated that way.

I think there will be some companies push for back to the office full time until the resistance starts and they start losing out on good hires or they have to increase compensation to compete. It's hard to hire good people right now.

Those of you not wanting to go back to the office must not have young kids. 

Of course. I'm single, dating some girls that are also WFH and can chill at my place all day on their laptops, whenever, too. No kids. No commute. All my food, my own bathroom, walking distance to coffee shops, restaurants, and a lake... and a boss that's happy to let me skip out of town and work a few hours out of a hotel room in Vegas or wherever too whenever I want. Why would I want to go back to an office?

Of course. I'm single, dating some girls that are also WFH and can chill at my place all day on their laptops, whenever, too. No kids. No commute. All my food, my own bathroom, walking distance to coffee shops, restaurants, and a lake... and a boss that's happy to let me skip out of town and work a few hours out of a hotel room in Vegas or wherever too whenever I want. Why would I want to go back to an office?
I hate you. 

;)   :lmao:  

Our company has said they’re not considering returning to the office until minimum end of the summer.  

I really hope they add some flexibility going forward.  We have proof of concept that WFH works, at least on a partial basis.  But the extroverted executive discussion above is something I hadn’t thought of.  Sigh

Our company has said they’re not considering returning to the office until minimum end of the summer.  

I really hope they add some flexibility going forward.  We have proof of concept that WFH works, at least on a partial basis.  But the extroverted executive discussion above is something I hadn’t thought of.  Sigh

Yeah we've been told September is the earliest.

There's no way we're going back to the office until all kids are back in school full time. Period.

Our office will open back back up in September. We do have the option of WFH 100% if we choose to do so.

I advised my manager I will come in 2 days a week, as getting out of the house wouldn't be a bad thing. My manager advised that we have to come in 3 days a week in order to keep our desk, less than that and we will desk share. I told her let me know when I can pack up my desk because I will be 100% WFH.

Our office will open back back up in September. We do have the option of WFH 100% if we choose to do so.

I advised my manager I will come in 2 days a week, as getting out of the house wouldn't be a bad thing. My manager advised that we have to come in 3 days a week in order to keep our desk, less than that and we will desk share. I told her let me know when I can pack up my desk because I will be 100% WFH.
I mean, sure, I guess I can come in to the office.  But I'll be working from home.

Do you hang out with coworkers outside of the office?

Although I cannot perform my job at home (this is changing though), I’m with Fred on this one. We shouldn’t endure traffic and waste all the resources that go into maintaining offices if a lot of it is purely social, or avoiding family.
I do not. 

I believe that, at least for some people, the social aspects of work are important enough to warrant going into the office. Humans are social creatures. My wife and I have both commented that we feel less connected to work when we're not in person. Maybe that's not important to some/many people, and I'm not saying everybody needs to go in.  But I enjoy my job more and am more motivated when I have the social aspect rather than being in my kitchen by myself. 

Most of us will be 3 days in office, 2 WFH.  Boss wants everyone in on Wednesdays but is otherwise flexible. I haven't decided if I want my WFH B2B or Tuesday / Thursday.

Wife is a pre school teacher, so she's been going in everyday. 

They've mentioned June return, but they also mentioned June last April 🤷🏽‍♂️

Government contractor in IT for DOD. Management polled people (contractors and civilian employees) if they wanted to go back to office.  80% said No. (Work at airfield that is lengthy commute for many. 40 mimutes/23 miles one way for myself)

Management was adamant pre-Covid that contractors had to come into office every day. No WFH at all. Now they're startled that developers are more productive at home than in a large open room with 18 otber people.

My suspicion is the other 20% are civ employees trying to brown nose a promotion. 

Work for a very old, global company. My office is working on return to office plans. Great company, very opposed to WFH prior to this. Really depends on the role as to what they will allow people to do but hybrid options are being discussed and will be an option for the year at least. 

Wife works for a large retail tech company and they surprisingly are wanting people back in. Roles do seem like they will allow some WFH but the mantra is at the moment need people to be in the office to collaborate.

I think what is tricky is if you work on a team and some people are in the office and others are not. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. 

Users who are viewing this thread