What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Summer of Soccer - Euro's, Copa America, Olympics, WCQing (12 Viewers)

also....when did the Czech Republic start calling themselves something different?

I think either has always been acceptable. Czechia is a little less formal and easier to write out or put on a soccer shirt than the full formal "Czech Republic" name.

I noticed yesterday that in Russia's absence the former soviet republics have an unusually strong showing in this tournament. Romania, Czechia, Slovakia, Georgia, Hungary, Poland, Albania, Ukraine and three of the former Yugoslavian nations - Croatia, Serbia and Slovenia - all qualified. Its nearly half the tournament
Forgive me CM but the pedantic political scientist in me can't let this sit. Two of these are former Soviet republics, Georgia and Ukraine, the rest are eastern European countries that were part of the Eastern Bloc/Warsaw Pact.

Going by rankings only, the Slovakia win over Belgium was the biggest upset in Euro history

Rank 48 beats Rank 3.

That is one exciting highlight recap for a 1-0 game.

Going by rankings only, the Slovakia win over Belgium was the biggest upset in Euro history

Rank 48 beats Rank 3.

That is one exciting highlight recap for a 1-0 game.

So many chances. Amazing they didn't convert.

Mbappe got a nose full of shoulder on a set piece, and has a bloody nose.

Which is great news, cause it looked like a concussion at first

And then:
Mbappe gets himself off the field, they resume play, and he walks back on the field, and sits down. Gets himself a yellow. What the heck was that?

Lukaku...rinse and repeat for the national team. Feels like he rarely delivers when needed. He's had at least three shots on goal, a couple point blank.
Same as it ever was.

I feel like Lukaku gets a bad rap. Has he been wasteful at times over the years? Sure. But the guy has averaged a goal every other game for his career. Scored 300+ goals and is Belgium's all-time leading goal scorer with 85 goals - 52 more than 2nd place. He's only 31 years old. My god, what a career he's had even if he never plays another game. There's only been 24 five hundred goal scorers and he has a shot at that. I just don't think he deserves the ridicule he seems to often get.

Lukaku...rinse and repeat for the national team. Feels like he rarely delivers when needed. He's had at least three shots on goal, a couple point blank.
Same as it ever was.

I feel like Lukaku gets a bad rap. Has he been wasteful at times over the years? Sure. But the guy has averaged a goal every other game for his career. Scored 300+ goals and is Belgium's all-time leading goal scorer with 85 goals - 52 more than 2nd place. He's only 31 years old. My god, what a career he's had even if he never plays another game. There's only been 24 five hundred goal scorers and he has a shot at that. I just don't think he deserves the ridicule he seems to often get.
I like Lukaku, he's a fun player. It sucks he keeps getting so unlucky on these stages. It isn't like the rest of his team is playing well.

Was at the Italy game, it was pretty crazy. The Albanian fans were loud and pretty nice too. l
Super jelly
Was holding out for last min tix which didn't go as expected, as the secondary market actually skyrocketed day of the game. Ugh.

But got REALLY lucky with a scalper and was literally front row near center of the field. It was an amazing experience and was bucket list to see Italy's national team play in a Euro/WC.

The first minute was pretty awful though lol

Same as it ever was.

• 1 goal in the 2014 World Cup vs. USA in Round of 16
  • 2 goals in the 2016 Euros vs. Ireland in Group Stage; did not score in 4-0 win over Hungary in Round of 16, did not score in 1-3 loss to Wales in QFs
  • 4 goals in the 2018 World Cup, 2 vs. Panama and 2 vs. Tunisia in Group Stage; did not score in 3-2 win over Japan in R of 16; did not score in 2-1 win over Brazil in QFs; did not score in 0-1 loss to France in SFs
  • 4 goals in the 2020 Euros, 2 vs. Russia, 1 vs. Finland in Group Stage; 1 vs. Italy in 1-2 loss to Italy in QFs
  • 0 goals in 2022 World Cup; Belgium scored a total of 1 goal in the Group Stage, vs. Canada, and no goals vs. Croatia and darling Morocco. They didn't advance to Round of 16.
  • (Caveat: I don't have start/sit info for each tournament)
Goals against second and third tier teams are great, but he doesn't show up when it matters most, and neither does Belgium. I've watched close to every Belgium WC or Euro game since somewhere in the 1990s (I was born there). I have seen Lukaku fall short way too many times, missing shots that MUST be goals at this level, including last night. In fact I feel for the guy because absent something special this Euro, it may be his legacy.

Same as it ever was.

• 2 goals in the 2016 Euros vs. Ireland in Group Stage; did not score in 4-0 win over Hungary in Round of 16, did not score in 1-3 loss to Wales in QFs
  • 4 goals in the 2018 World Cup, 2 vs. Panama and 2 vs. Tunisia in Group Stage; did not score in 3-2 win over Japan in R of 16; did not score in 2-1 win over Brazil in QFs; did not score in 0-1 loss to France in SFs
  • 4 goals in the 2020 Euros, 2 vs. Russia, 1 vs. Finland in Group Stage; 1 vs. Italy in 1-2 loss to Italy in QFs
  • 0 goals in 2022 World Cup; Belgium scored a total of 1 goal in the Group Stage, vs. Canada, and no goals vs. Croatia and darling Morocco. They didn't advance to Round of 16.
Goals against second and third tier teams are great, but he doesn't show up when it matters most, and neither does Belgium. I've watched close to every Belgium WC or Euro game since somewhere in the 1990s (I was born there). I have seen Lukaku fall short way too many times, missing shots that MUST be goals at this level, including last night. In fact I feel for the guy because absent something special this Euro, it may be his legacy.

Who from Belgium has shown up when it matters most?

He also scored two goals that were disallowed- easy tap in but the 2nd one was well taken.

Same as it ever was.

Who from Belgium has shown up when it matters most?

He also scored two goals that were disallowed- easy tap in but the 2nd one was well taken.
When you're the striker for a top national team, your job is to score goals. He doesn't when it matters most.

Belgium has been a disappointment for several years now, but he's squandered enough opportunities that the team's sheet could read differently if he performed better.

In a way, he may be a victim of his success. He's got a great resume, as you noted. But scoring in friendlies and Euro and WC qualifiers isn't enough.

I hope he isn't reading the news today.

Exhibit A (forgot how bad this was, and that was one match)

Last edited:

Rank 48 beats Rank 3.
LOL @ Belgium being number 3 in the world. They haven't won a damn thing and nearly the entire the team caught the O.L.D.
Totally. Reminds me of the time several years back - maybe 20? - when USA was in the top 10 in the FIFA rankings for an extended period. No freaking way. There might have been 10 teams in South America better than us.

Rank 48 beats Rank 3.
LOL @ Belgium being number 3 in the world. They haven't won a damn thing and nearly the entire the team caught the O.L.D.
Totally. Reminds me of the time several years back - maybe 20? - when USA was in the top 10 in the FIFA rankings for an extended period. No freaking way. There might have been 10 teams in South America better than us.
before they fixed the formula, back in 2006, the US got as high as #4, which was beyond foolish.

They ended the year in 31st, so it did at least fix itself.

Rank 48 beats Rank 3.
before they fixed the formula, back in 2006, the US got as high as #4, which was beyond foolish.

Looks like we are #11 right now. Still seems a bit dubious.

I am trying to buy a Lamine Yamal autograph rookie card. Turns out there's an s-ton of them out there, different types. No idea what I'm doing. Having fun learning though. I think this kid's the real deal. The fact that I'm in Spain and headed to Barcelona tomorrow has nothing to do with it. I swear.

Rank 48 beats Rank 3.

Looks like we are #11 right now. Still seems a bit dubious.

I think so too but it is worth noting that a lot of teams from ~10-30 could flop positions. There is some decent depth of quality in this tier. This is what makes the WC so enjoyable because so many of these teams can beat each other.

And the rankings are by definition lagging indicators, so they do an average or worse job predicting the relative near future.

Users who are viewing this thread