What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official Tour De France** 2021 Version (3 Viewers)

Why so early this year?

I used to really get into the Tour ... had a local stage race that featured past/future tour riders (Armstrong, Hamilton, Davis Phinney, Stephen Swart, among others) but that has since fizzled out after more than 50 years.

Will be wild to see the time gaps when this all shakes out.  You'd have to think the pool of legit GC contenders is down to just a few now.

Why so early this year?

I used to really get into the Tour ... had a local stage race that featured past/future tour riders (Armstrong, Hamilton, Davis Phinney, Stephen Swart, among others) but that has since fizzled out after more than 50 years.
Olympics start late July.  

Damn...one spectator took out 75% of the field.  They should spend some time in jail.
:rant:

Friggin digital age where she wasn't even facing the race.  All about getting a ####### picture with the riders in the background.  Infuriating.

I hope Froomie heals up.  That second crash was also brutal.

The ending was awesome though.  No spoilers here, but at the least the last 10 miles is pretty damn awesome.

ETA:  Had no idea that The Gorilla is in the race.  Go old guys!  Another guy to cheer for.  Saw some articles on him and his peak power really hasn't gone down since his heyday.  Would love to see him grab one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why so early this year?

the olympics

I ran next to lance, for a few hundred yards, on the col de tourmalet. It was most awesome. The police motorbike, blasting his horn at me, was hysterical.

Today’s idiot was terribly unfortunate. The true miracles are on the mega climbs, where the fans part like the Red Sea, just in front of the riders. I love it. 

me running next to lance is on the facebooks, for those that “know” me.  I even have a video of it. 

Clearly the spectator at fault here. But it looks like Tony Martin sees her, and leaps into her at the point of contact. And the leap is what throws him up and off balance . If he’d have just ridden through her, it might have been fine. 

declercq has one of my favorite nicknames in the tour.  "the tractor"  because he's always pulling at the front of the peloton.

Clearly the spectator at fault here. But it looks like Tony Martin sees her, and leaps into her at the point of contact. And the leap is what throws him up and off balance . If he’d have just ridden through her, it might have been fine. 
Im not seeing what youre saying here...maybe you can explain further. From my vantage point, it Looked like the he rises up to avoid catching the sign in his face, the sign catches and pushes the handlebars and throws him down. I didnt see any leap.

Yeah no. He’s moving 15-20 mph at that point. Hit him with something to the face he’s going to react. 

Yeah, watching the replay several times. I’m probably wrong. Though there are a bunch of people all over the road leading up to that crash. This person just wasn’t watching, and got clipped. 

Law enforcement officials from the Finistère area in western France have opened an investigation into the cause of "unintentional injuries....by manifestly deliberate violation of an obligation of safety or prudence" according to a statement on Facebook.

Authorities have launched a call for witnesses as the woman left the scene before investigators arrived, according to the Facebook post.

Tour de France Fast Facts

A spokesperson for Amaury Sports Organization, the Tour de France organizer, confirmed to CNN the company had made a complaint to the authorities.

According to the Tour de France website, three riders have withdrawn from the race following Saturday's first stage, including German rider Jasha Sutterlin who was involved in the crash.

A Tour de France official says the organization will sue a spectator who caused a pileup of cyclists by stepping into their path in the first stage of the race Saturday. The crash was the first of two as the famed bicycle race returned to its spot on the sports calendar following last year’s delay because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Per TWP.

Avoiding the new posts as I'm watching on delay.  One note - Stage 14 looks to be on NBC rather than NBCSN.

i hope that the international community and all nations  come together to catch the sign holding moron and destroys them and then realizing that they work better together untie and create peace in our time and in that way the sign holder will still be an idiot but will have unified the globe take that to the bank bromigos 

I'm stunned this doesn't happen more often. I've thought this since watching my first TDF about 40 years ago.
seriously - I expect like 2 pile ups per stage - though I guess someone can be worse that the morons that run alongside in Viking costumes and the like

-QG

I ran next to lance, for a few hundred yards, on the col de tourmalet. It was most awesome. The police motorbike, blasting his horn at me, was hysterical.

Today’s idiot was terribly unfortunate. The true miracles are on the mega climbs, where the fans part like the Red Sea, just in front of the riders. I love it. 

me running next to lance is on the facebooks, for those that “know” me.  I even have a video of it. 
were you in a Viking costume? :lmao:

(Hippling the thread so was amused to see this two posts later)

-QG

I’ll see if I can post the video.  They went to commercial, right when I started running, so you only catch the end of my run. And it’s from the helicopter. No penny in the shot. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The assumption seems to be the yellow-jacketed fugitive is German but I am surprised that given the mixed language sign that they haven't considered the possibility she's Alsatian.

-QG

brutal day/s for GC guys.  gonna be interesting how this shakes out.
I have to think Ineos like where they stand with Carapaz and while frankly I don't think Alaphilippe has much of a chance, he has to like how the first 3 days have gone as well.  

I have to think Ineos like where they stand with Carapaz and while frankly I don't think Alaphilippe has much of a chance, he has to like how the first 3 days have gone as well.  
Alaphilippe isn't known to have the stamina for a race this long. Though I'd love, love to see him find it this tour.

Looks like Ewan is out.  Broken collar bone.  So much for my fantasy team!
Man, that's a shame.  Honestly his own fault, though.  

Total carnage.  Good grief.  
Amazing thing today was it was all pretty simple human error - Thomas and Ewan did it themselves.  Good to see Sagan get back up.  It was hard to see what happened to Roglic - he hit really, really hard, though.

ineos can't happy with G going down, porte is 3+ minutes out, hart is 9+ out(i think)  and like many teams, a lot of them have been on the ground  carapaz is in a good spot, so depending on G, he's the likely front man, from here on out.

jumbo visma lost gesink today,  and roglic fell hard and lost some time today.  most of them have been on the ground as well.

alaphillipe is one of my favorite riders.  i hope he contends for the GC, we'll see.  doubtful.

tadej lost 26 seconds, due to the 2nd crash, but he didn't hit the deck.  he's easily the favorite at this point, IMHO

Alaphilippe isn't known to have the stamina for a race this long. Though I'd love, love to see him find it this tour.
While I generally agree, Roglic and Pogacar have already hit the deck, Thomas has a disclocated shoulder, and Porte/Lopez are roughly 3:30 down.  That's almost the best case scenario if he were to win especially since his team's strategy seems to be to burn all their matches keeping him out of trouble now and then follow Ineos/Movistar/Jumbo (if they're still functioning) in the mountains.  

i picked the wrong bnb rider.  so far.  1 more stage in brittany tomorrow.  lets go gautier!  get that sponsor's name on tv. 

Users who are viewing this thread