What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 101 Movies of the 90s. We are done. If I knock out Amadeus/Brazil/Ran, We get to have an 80s countdown!! (1 Viewer)

Ilov80s said:
Gump is so out of place in 2021. It's a Boomer "remember when" story. 

What were the mid 90s like? Well,  we went to the movies to watch Forrest Gump. Then we did Forrest Gump impressions with friends while we listened to the Forrest Gump soundtrack before we went to eat at the Forrest Gump restaurant. 
I can not believe that there is a Bubba Gumps in Time Square in NYC - but then again there are Applebees and TGIFs all over NYC as well. I guess some people are willing to eat bland inferior meals just for the familiarity.

Ilov80s said:
I don't get it. Obviously it isn't meant to be any kind of realistic portrayal of anything. So is it meant to be allegorical?  We get a tour of the most memorable sights, sounds  and events of a generation through the eyes of someone who is incapable of understanding what is happening around him. I just don't get it or what it is trying to do. 
It's mostly a fantasy movie.  :shrug:

KarmaPolice said:
@Todem  I am not opposed to a couple more jumping in. 

I get that out method of countdown was a bit confusing and imperfect.   So I think it needs to be discussed if we are going to do a similar combined countdown or as somebody suggested, mabye we countdown our 100-1 individually.   Ie one posts their 100-96, then the other posts their 100-96, and so on.  
If you're willing to do the work, you can approach it like the Zeppelin or Beatles threads where you take multiple lists and flesh out the results based on that.

Interesting.  Could do our Top 60, seed them, then add in 4 "play in" movies that people feel should haven been in- Gump, true romance, reservoir dogs, Mallrats. 

you would need to have an 8 movie play-in to pare down to 4.  

leaving you with the magic # of 64, natch. 

I can not believe that there is a Bubba Gumps in Time Square in NYC - but then again there are Applebees and TGIFs all over NYC as well. I guess some people are willing to eat bland inferior meals just for the familiarity.
That's how these places survive
it's super weird to me.

people from all over the country come to NYC to visit, but then stick to what they already know and can get almost anywhere else. 

it's not like there's a dearth of eating or cultural opportunities here to try.

but different = scary.

Interesting.  Could do our Top 60, seed them, then add in 4 "play in" movies that people feel should haven been in- Gump, true romance, reservoir dogs, Mallrats. 
Or could do top 64 that didn’t make the list? Or top 64 performances from the movies on our lists?

Oh yeah I get that but for what purpose other than to say “hey remember when this happened” 
I think there's plenty of movies on the list where we can ask "what was the purpose?".

I'm not going to read too deeply into a fantasy type movie but I think it's basic shtick is that this dumb innocent schmuck somehow stumbled into being a major part of history while also addressing  the start of the "conservative v. liberal" perspective and how that carries over during different historical eras.

shuke said:
Damn, I wanted to do an 80's one.
@shuke seriously, if you want to take the reins for and 80s version, you are welcome.  IF I or 80s do one it would be a couple months from now, but it also will be nice and people might not be as interested at that time. 

Ilov80s said:
Shawshank- $73 million but that was a rough ride to get there, it was a bomb on release. Opening weekend it was 9th at the box office. After a 10 week run, it had failed to recoup its budget. The director credited the Oscar nominations with saving it. He said before it got all those nominations, most people in the country had never heard of the film. It really became much more popular with an aggressive VHS and TNT/TBS campaign. 

I believe there is a whole story on how TNT/TBS got the rights for a song and played it continuously on tv over and over again during the explosion of the cable era of tv. It went from a mostly unknown bomb to one of the most popular and revered movies ever in large part due to that. I recall it’s come up a few times in threads before but don’t 100% remember the details.

Last edited by a moderator:
@shuke seriously, if you want to take the reins for and 80s version, you are welcome.  IF I or 80s do one it would be a couple months from now, but it also will be nice and people might not be as interested at that time. 

I kind of like the idea of a tournament, or a list based on a number of people submitting lists. 

There is (or at least WAS) a Bubba Gumps in Honolulu.  You know, a city in an island SURROUNDED by a body of water kind of full of tasty marine life.  

Ilov80s said:
Gump is so out of place in 2021. It's a Boomer "remember when" story. 

What were the mid 90s like? Well,  we went to the movies to watch Forrest Gump. Then we did Forrest Gump impressions with friends while we listened to the Forrest Gump soundtrack before we went to eat at the Forrest Gump restaurant. 

1)  My 17 year old son watched it 7 years ago and considers it one of his favorite movies, so I don't think it's so out of place today.

2)  Imagine living the mid-90s with, you know, THE NAME FORREST!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111juanonejohnwon :hot:

1)  My 17 year old son watched it 7 years ago and considers it one of his favorite movies, so I don't think it's so out of place today.

2)  Imagine living the mid-90s with, you know, THE NAME FORREST!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111juanonejohnwon :hot:
we watched it with my kids (14 and 10) who loved it.

I was really surprised Primal Fear didn't get more discussion on not being on the list.  I think I remember one (maybe two) mentions of it.  This was a great movie and performance by Norton.  Surprising turn at one point and well done.  
One of my last cuts from my list 

I believe there is a whole story on how TNT/TBS got the rights for a song and played it continuously on tv over and over again during the explosion of the cable era of tv. It went from a mostly unknown bomb to one of the most popular and revered movies ever in large part due to that. I recall it’s come up a few times in threads before but don’t 100% remember the details.
There was a time it seemed like it was on almost every time I'd flip past the TNT/TBS area.

have a buddy i had the pleasure of being in biz with for quite a few years - his family is from Jamaica 🇯🇲,  and they'd visit pretty frequently - he's in Queens, but each and every family member (or friend) would insist on going to the Times Sq. Olive Garden for "real NY Italian"

:lmao:

he asked me to intervene any # of times, but no dice - 

ps - it's heavy Caribbean on Atlantic & Jamaica aves, like being in the Islands ... but, nope - they wanted OG - even though there's plenty of old school Italian closer by. 

:shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
have a buddy i had the pleasure of being in biz with for quite a few years - his family is from Jamaica 🇯🇲,  and they'd visit pretty frequently - he's in Queens, but each and every family member (or friend) would insist on going to the Times Sq. Olive Garden for "real NY Italian"

:lmao:

he asked me to intervene any # of times, but no dice - 

ps - it's heavy Caribbean on Atlantic & Jamaica aves, like being in the Islands ... but, nope - they wanted OG - even though there's plenty of old school Italian closer by. 

:shrug:
Heck I used to see the Sbarros across the street from Penn Station always packed when there's a better and cheaper slice on every ####### block.

I’m willing to contribute to or assist with any idea moving forward for the 90s movies but I can’t organize it. On top of teaching, I’m on the negotiation team for the contract negotiations which means the next 3 months are going to duck work wise.

Earlier this week, my dad told me that his DVD player stopped working and asked if I had an old one I could give him.  So last night, I pulled one out of storage and hooked it up to make sure it was still functional.  Lo and behold, one of my favorite '90s movies was still in it and I can't believe I didn't bring it up in my omissions post (though it really wasn't a serious omission):  Strange Days.

Once the Sixers game became a blowout, I fired it up and man is it still awesome:  virtual reality glasses, a peak-sexy Juliette Lewis, bad-### Angela Bassett, skeevy Ralph Fiennes, Tom Sizemore, Michael Wincott (menacing as always).  Written by James Cameron and directed by Kathryn Bigelow.  This flick is just so 90s - not sure how it ended up being such a miss (but I love it anyway).

It's really not terrible for "fast food" pizza - but then again all pizza is kind of fast food. The main point though is any random pizza place will be cheaper and better than Sbarro.

first time i EVER saw a ziti slice was at that joint ... reminded me of the Maxwell House Coffee can i glued macaroni to, back in the 2nd grade. 

:unsure:

Earlier this week, my dad told me that his DVD player stopped working and asked if I had an old one I could give him.  So last night, I pulled one out of storage and hooked it up to make sure it was still functional.  Lo and behold, one of my favorite '90s movies was still in it and I can't believe I didn't bring it up in my omissions post (though it really wasn't a serious omission):  Strange Days.

Once the Sixers game became a blowout, I fired it up and man is it still awesome:  virtual reality glasses, a peak-sexy Juliette Lewis, bad-### Angela Bassett, skeevy Ralph Fiennes, Tom Sizemore, Michael Wincott (menacing as always).  Written by James Cameron and directed by Kathryn Bigelow.  This flick is just so 90s - not sure how it ended up being such a miss (but I love it anyway).
I liked this one, tbh. at least as far as I remember... which isn't a lot. 

Strange Days.

I really like the film despite Juliette Lewis, who I never liked in anything.

But I love Angela Bassett.

I know part of the second verse, too. 

Each girl stands her head so proudly high
Her motto do or die

Something something something...

fades out

Great movie. Really deserving of top fifty, if you ask me. 

We are the members of the All-American League
We go to cities near and far
We've got Canadians, Irish ones, and Swedes

We're all for one, we're one-for-all, we're All-American
I will be honest, I am not sure how it didn't make my top 100. An oversight honestly. 

I will be honest, I am not sure how it didn't make my top 100. An oversight honestly. 
Bound to happen. I wasn't really being critical, just joining you in the shout-out and giving an opinion. 

Now for some real criticism: 

I'm catching up on the thread and AAABatteries pointed out that Toy Story didn't make the list. Wow. 

Toy Story would be around top twenty for me, and didn't even make your lists. That I hadn't thought of. I forgot that was nineties, actually. 

Astounding Pixar movies from that era. 

But you guys have already spoken to animation, so there's that criteria there. 

Bound to happen. I wasn't really being critical, just joining you in the shout-out and giving an opinion. 

Now for some real criticism: 

I'm catching up on the thread and AAABatteries pointed out that Toy Story didn't make the list. Wow. 

Toy Story would be around top twenty for me, and didn't even make your lists. That I hadn't thought of. I forgot that was nineties, actually. 

Astounding Pixar movies from that era. 

But you guys have already spoken to animation, so there's that criteria there. 
Fake news. Despite my general disinterest in animation, Toy Story was on both our lists and came in very high on the ranking. 

Fake news. Despite my general disinterest in animation, Toy Story was on both our lists and came in very high on the ranking. 
Oh man. 

You're kidding. I totally missed the list. 

I need to get a better grip on the final list, then. It would behoove one. Especially before one runs his mouth like I just did. 

You'll have to forgive me. I'm listening to The Rapture's Out Of The Races and Onto The Tracks and it's pretty jarring. Don't remember it this way. Whoa! 

Oh man. 

You're kidding. I totally missed the list. 

I need to get a better grip on the final list, then. It would behoove one. Especially before one runs his mouth like I just did. 

You'll have to forgive me. I'm listening to The Rapture's Out Of The Races and Onto The Tracks and it's pretty jarring. Don't remember it this way. Whoa! 
Oh no worries at all, lots of comments have even made and I haven’t always been sure what made it. Toy Story blew me away though. Saw that in the theater. 

Users who are viewing this thread